We represent a regional member subset of the International Association for Science Teacher Education (ASTE).
Join our Listserv!
To join the NC-ASTE listserv or to update your listserv membership, follow this link.
News: Fall 2019 Regional Meeting
North Central held their 2019 Regional Meeting at the stunning Bell Museum on the University of Minnesota’s St. Paul campus from Oct 11-13. Attendees braved an early snowfall to gather for presentations that showcased new research, innovative teaching techniques, and lively discussions on the topic of science teacher education. The following new officers were voted in during the meeting: Jerrid Kruse (Interim Director), Jaci Easter (Director-Elect), Hallie Edgerly (Secretary) and Kean Roberts (Graduate Student Representative). These officers-elect will join Jesse Wilcox (Treasurer) when their terms begin in January 2020.
North Central’s 2020 Regional Meeting will take place at Drake University in Des Moines, IA, and the 2021 Regional Meeting will take place in Winona, MN. All ASTE members are welcome to join our regional session at ASTE’s 2020 International Conference in San Antonio, TX to welcome our new officers and learn more about North Central!
We currently support two awards:
- The Davis-Foster Graduate Student Research Award
- Graduate students are encouraged to apply for the Davis-Foster Graduate Student Research Award. This award entails submitting a paper for review by the current officers of the Region. The due date for submissions is two weeks prior to the annual fall regional meeting. Papers must be primarily graduate students’ work with a statement of contribution submitted by faculty members when applicable. No more than one paper as first author can be submitted per award cycle. Papers must conform to current Journal of Science Teacher Education formatting and length guidelines. Two copies of a paper should be submitted to the current Regional Director, one of them being blinded for review purposes. The recipient of this award receives a monetary prize. The awardee will be reimbursed for the registration fee paid to attend the ASTE national meeting the following January. Multiple graduate student authors will split the award.
- The North-Central Legacy Award
- This award is intended to honor long time members for their service and professional involvement in the organization. The nomination process involves putting forward a 250 word paragraph. Send nominations to the current Director.
- Interim Director: Jerrid Kruse (2020-2021)
- Director-Elect: Jaci Easter (2020-2021)
- Past Director: Joshua Ellis (2018-2020)
- Treasurer: Jesse Wilcox (2019-2022)
- Secretary: Hallie Edgerly (2020-2023)
- Graduate Student Representative: Kean Roberts (2020-2021)
- Regional Representative to the ASTE Board: Emily Dare (2018-2021)
All North-Central ASTE officers that are newly elected at the Fall Regional Meeting begin their terms on the final day of the ASTE International Conference in January.